Background

1.10.2011

{happy new year!}

happy new year! a few days late, but it seems like i haven't accomplished anything this year. how were your holidays? it was so nice to not work for five days and just relax with my family. it seemed especially nice this year. i stayed with my grandparents a few days after the holiday - just me. we went to movies, drank grasshoppers and those moments i will cherish forever. i am so blessed to have them close to me and have the ability to share that time with them.

i have been meaning to sit down to write this post for many days. everyday i wake up and see my computer i think maybe today i'll blog, and then the day passes and its on to the next one.

the snow is starting to fall here in iowa. it's really beautiful out - now that i'm cozy in my home and not driving with one headlight out. i am so looking forward to snuggling into my comforter and sleeping! there is nothing like your bed at the end of a long day, right? although i'm not a fan of the snow (at ALL) i'm glad that we won't have to look at much of the dirty ground anymore. there is something so sad and depressing about the dead grass. hopefully we won't get another warm up so that this snow sticks around for awhile!

the reason for this post is to, of course, share my new year resolutions with you. although technically i have failed them all. but i can't explain!

  1. blog at least twice a week. achievable. it is so nice to have a space to share my thoughts and i enjoy doing it. and i want to share what i'm working on with all of you! there have been so many things i want to share with the world and haven't because i'm really, really lazy. no more excuses!
  2. exercise. standard stuff. routine is what my body seems to be yearning for. hopefully my mom and i can conquer this one together!
  3. cook at least three times a week. i got so many nice things for christmas, but the one i'm really looking forward to using is the panini maker that the contractor and my mom got me. i can't wait to master panera's paininis on my own...for so much cheaper! in an effort to safe money and to make use of my fabulous kitchen things (like napkins, napkin holders and place mats!) i'm trying to cook more.
  4. travel. all of my college friends have scattered across the country and live in the most fabulous places! atlanta, new york, san diego, houston, minneapolis! with so many fun places to explore, i hope i get to visit all of them before 2011 is over. i would also LOVE to take a trip just for myself. and right now, the thought of any place with sunshine, a beach and a fancy drink with an umbrella in it sounds pretty fantabulous.
i'm sure there are more i'm forgetting. one huge goal is to try not to be a workaholic. when i leave the office, i want to leave the office. which means i may not ever leave...last year i think i let myself get consumed with thinking about work and it affected my relationship and overall my stress level. which right now, is something i'm trying to avoid. which brings me to why i have already failed at all of my goals (including travel!) for the new year...

today is day 14 of a migraine for me. i'm five days away from breaking my record of 19 days. i am exhausted, frustrated and irritated because i haven't felt like me in so long. i've missed out on seeing my dear friends in chicago, a new years eve trip to missouri to see other friends and i missed the end of the iowa v. missouri game - the first in 100 years. mostly, i've missed out on being myself for fourteen days!!! i have been to the doctor and have been drugged - and i'm most frustrated that no one knows what to do! thursday i'll make another trip to the hospital to see a neurologist. i'm hoping he/she will 1) look like mcdreamy/mcsteamy and 2) have some kind of genius answer to kill this thing.

for those of you have never had one - i hope you never do. it's exhausting and all you want to do is lay in bed with all the lights off for days. and in reality, you can't really do that forever because you can only lay around for so long before you get a little restless. good thoughts and prayers are welcome at this point - and i promise to keep you all updated on what happens on thursday. so far, no one thinks it is anything more serious than a migraine and hopefully they will keep that same frame of mind on thursday.

here's to a new year and your new year resolutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment