Background

2.22.2010

{today i love....the help}

right after the vikings final game (post season) my mother was told to read the book the help by kathryn sockett by one of the contractors sisters (or sisters-in-law, he has too many and i don't keep track). she read it in approximately five days and then passed the book on to me, saying that i had to read it. the problem was that i was (and still am) in the middle of the guernsey literary and potato peel society by mary ann shaffer and annie barrows so i told her i would put in on the stack of books i want to read.

last week, i decided i needed a break from the literary society and moved on to the help. i am so glad that i did. what i found was a novel that sucked me in after five paragraphs. it felt so good to read again and to have a book take hold of me, the way books did all throughout my childhood. i had forgotten the power of a book rather than a television show & slowly fell in love again.

the help is a novel written about the civil rights movement and african american maids working in the south. it follows two maids and a white young woman (around my age) and their story. that's all that i am going to say, because let me tell you, its is much more fun to read the book than have someone tell you all about it. this book is a page turner, and i found my eyes burning in the middle of the night so that i could read the next chapter.

this past weekend, my mom recommended the book to my grandma, another book lover. she had already ordered it on amazon and was looking forward to starting it for her book club. let me tell you, you need to read this book.

i even skipped watching the olympics last night to read it! it's that good!

{in other news, i babysat two beautiful babies today and am relishing the smell of baby that is still lingering on my clothes. the world just seems perfect & peaceful when there is a three-month old sleeping in your arms, don't you think?}

1 comment:

  1. Monica, I randomly stumbled upon your blog today and this post is freaking me out.

    I myself was reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- a friend loaned it to me. Then, I was invited to join a book club and read The Help. I totally intended to finish Guernsey, but with the book club meeting looming in the next two weeks, ended up abandoning it in the middle and starting The Help....which I am loving.

    Just a little freaky- we are on the same book path. :) Incidentally MY mom recommended "The Help" too. Must be an Iowa City "Mom" thing....

    Glad you are well- take care!

    P.S. I'm actually jealous that you are stranded at Panera today....I miss Panera!!! :) Eat a Fuji Apple Chicken Salad for me!

    ReplyDelete