Background

8.12.2009

Insomnia = excitement?

It's been awhile since I wrote in my blog.  But it's for a good reason - a long overdue vacation was exactly what I needed to rejuvenate my life.  Even work has been something I've almost looked forward to these past few days.  I find myself more focused and more motivated to get stuff accomplished.  Chef & I got away for 10 days (!) at my family's cabin in northern Wisconsin.  Aside from a weekend here or there, it was the first time I hadn't worked all summer and had put in a whopping 91 hours the two weeks leading up to vacation.  It was wonderful to wake up early and enjoy the lake everyday and then stay up late talking and enjoying a (few) glass(es) of wine with my family.  It was wonderful to be surrounded by people that I love.  I left my cell phone upstairs and checked it once a day.  And I left the laptop behind.  Getting away from technology was fabulous and a much needed break.  I will share stories from vacation (complete with pictures!) the rest of the week.

I came back to Columbia a little sad.  For two reasons: I was suffering from an intense cold and because I realized that I would not be returning to school in the fall.  If there is one thing you should know about me it is this: I love school supplies, paper, pens, books, etc.  I was pretty much devastated that I wouldn't be a part of the bookstore's busiest time of the year and even offered to do the shopping for Chef.  He declined - he doesn't buy that stuff anyway.  This evening, I found myself suffering from insomnia.  I've tried everything - watching TV, catching up on the world news that I'd missed via NYTimes.com, reading my book - and it isn't working. I realized that I was excited for something I wouldn't be doing this year.  I even wrote in my planner that school starts on August 24th...even though I won't be enjoying new classes.

My little sister and cousin will both be moving into new dorm rooms in a few short days.  I wish that I was starting it all over again.  Looking back on the past four years (even their ups and downs) I wouldn't change anything in the world.  I met the most amazing people and created relationships with them that will last a lifetime.  And now, those same people are starting new paths of life.  In a year, I'll be moving to _________.  In a few months, I'll be making my first bridesmaid debut at my best friends' wedding (which can only mean one thing: there will be many weddings in my future!).  My friends are starting professional careers as students, accountants, and anything that they can get their hands on.

So, maybe I am not excited about the new school year.  Perhaps this August I am most excited for what there is to come.  Last week, my grandpa told me to follow my dreams and that is what I intend to do this year.  Who wouldn't be excited about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment