Background

7.28.2009

Goal Setting

Today at work, my bff J-estes and I had a heart to heart, much like we do during our down times of the day.  Jeremy is such an amazing person - and I am so glad to call him one of my closest friends.  I know that no matter what direction life takes us (him toward the ocean and me to the seas of grain) we will still remain close friends.  Besides, an amazing floral designer as a best friend is every event planner's dream!

Anyway, both of us have been talking a lot about our goals and dreams for the future, but that's mostly all that we've been doing.  Last weekend Jeremy found an AMAZING space to open his very own floral studio.  I have everything crossed that he makes one of his biggest goals happen, and I will do anything to help accomplish it.  Today, we both decided it was really time for it to happen.  No more BS talk about it.  So, what follows is my one-year plan to make my organizational line, design line, stationery line, etc. happen:

This is probably the biggest goal: to attend the New York Stationery Show next May as an attendee.  This year, the most important thing I can do is network.  Find the small lines that started just like mine (eventually) will and get advice about where to go.  Talk to designers about how the outsource printing.  In order to get this accomplished, I have to establish credentials to attend.  This means actually forming a business...or at least having an exceptional reason to go.  That means - I need cash!

By the end of this year 2009, I would like to have an established portfolio.  This way, when I make my next move I can apply for graphic design positions in order to gain experience.  I am so sick of the designs I keep seeing over and over and over again as far as stationery and weddings go.  It's time to create & innovate.  (Hmm...slogan?)

Those are two pretty huge goals.  I know I can do it, I just have to force myself.

Smaller scale:

Network.  Send emails to the lines we carry at PPP and let them know what I'm interested in.

Create a few prototypes of planners that I know young, professional men/women would love to carry.  Innovate.

Speak with a few event planners that I know through my class/work to see if I can shadow/intern a few days a week.

Get a second, third, fourth job.  Income, baby.

So, it's official, the hunt to Oprah's favorite things begins.  Because I wrote in this.  I can hold myself to it....it's time to actually get off the floor!

If I could end up like Cheree Berry - she has had all of my dream jobs.  Serious.  She designed the entire Kate Spade line for Crane (now a best seller).  Now she designs amazing wedding invitations out of St. Louis - anyway, I would settle to close to her and be over joyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment