Background

7.16.2009

Just turn it over, ma'am.

Work recently has been...slow, to say the least.  Every hour (or so...) a customer will come in for 15 minutes and leave without buying anything.  But then, there are some gems of people that come in and stay forever.

Today, a woman was boogie-ing (so not a word, but whatevs) to our music.  She thought it was Marvin Gay (it was Al Green) and sang along while rocking out.  Then she complained to me that we had a horrible card selection.

Which is true.  But it's summer, so we at the Triple P are having more time eating fresh tomatoes from our Farmers' Market to care that the cards are low.

So I said, sweetly "I'm so sorry.  I hope the next time you come in we can satisfy your needs."  What I wanted to say is "if you wanted such a large selection, go to Hallmark and feed into the big box stores that have taken over little stores like this one."  Ugh.

The other day a couple came in.  The man was wearing an Old Navy Flag shirt.  It wasn't the 4th, so I don't understand why he was wearing it.  I hate those shirts.  I mean, don't you want to use that freedom that our fore fathers fought for (whew! alliteration!) to be an individual?  Everyone & their pet cat Lucy has that shirt.  Sorry, tangent.

Anyway, he came in with his wife.  That looked at EVERY SINGLE CARD in the store.  Asked me 23u912u9305 times how much each cost and what they said on the back.  Hint: if it's wrapped in plastic, it means that the message is on the back, if it has one.  Turn it over!  Her husband sat down at our bride table that has a collection of bridal magazines on it (my goal: to memorize them this summer) and took out his phone.

It was an iPhone.  I want an iPhone so badly.  Everyone I know has them, including my grandfather and twelve year old twin girls (how come they deserve that anyway?) that came in today.  He played with his phone the whole time that his wife looked at cards.  He kept twisting around in his chair to see if she was still looking at cards (she was).  He huffed and puffed as loudly as he could.  She didn't hear.  He banged his finger on his phone.  I wanted to tell him to be gentle, that little toy costs a lot of money!

Then his wife complained that we had covered the inside message on the back of the card.  I told her the card was blank.  She argued back.  I'm telling you, retail is making me cynical and hateful, she honestly thought she knew more about the card then me.  Don't worry, I wasn't arguing meanly, like I would/did/do with my sister.  I was gentle and calm.

Finally, the woman found a card.  One card.  In the hour and a half (ok, exaggeration) they were there and after looking at every single card in the store, she bought one card.

Greeting card lovers, I tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment